Thursday, June 19, 2008

Address, finallyyy

Here is my address for those of you who have been asking for it (I also put it up on fbook). I would love letters/postcards if you have time to send them :)

Global Service Corps
Plot #4 Sekei East of Golf Course
P.O. Box 16338
Arusha, TZ

I love the “east of golf course” part of that, lol.

I cannot believe day camp is almost over!! Today in the afternoon we had a photo shoot which was ridiculous. EVERY single student wanted an individual shot with me. At least Holly Rivers at the Kellogg Institute will be happy.

Also, check this out: http://www.maasaimarathon.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=c_pages.showPage&pageID=1&CFID=315242&CFTOKEN=56b7d80a9270e2b7-A1358846-FFA6-085F-C18992B6DDE6E7CC
I am friends with one of those guys, Isaya (on my left in this photo)...he is awesome. It is so surreal to be talking with a Maasai warrior after studying about them in both anthro and my intro to theo classes. And the fact that they ran a marathon faster than me without training, and did their jumping and yelling the whole way is also humbling.

This Saturday, a group of us GSC volunteers are attending a traditional Tanzanian wedding reception! It is for the brother of one of the GSC interns, so she invited us all to come. I am very interested/excited…apparently it will involve participation in a “gift dance,” so we will see what that is all about. Hopefully pictures will be coming soon!

My Kiswahili is stagnating…with all of the day camp stuff plus my anthropology research, it has not been a top priority. Hapana nzuri. I would probably be more motivated if I thought I was here long enough to actually make a dent it. As it is, I know that I am going to have to start in a beginning class anyway when I actually decide to learn for real. But I really should start making more of the current immersion opportunity. On a similar note, I never realized before coming to Tanzania that some of the phrases in the Lion King are real. Hakuna matata really does mean no worries, simba means lion, and rafiki means friend. That is the limit of Disney’s Swahili prowess, however. None of the other characters’ names mean anything.

3 comments:

DeAgostinos@aol.com said...

Mary,

Please provide definitions for words you use. I know I am old and uninformed, but I don't even know what Besos means. I tried to look up some words in a Swahili to English on-line dictionary, but I am not always successful. And, we need pictures! Love, ya.

Dad

Dad

Andrew said...

I agree...although I haven't tried to look them up. Sounds like your trip is awesome though, good posts. Missssss you.

merry said...

Sorry guys, I will start doing that for the Kiswahili. Besos is actually Spanish for kisses, and does not have much to do with anything...there is a really stellar song called "besos" that I like, hence the blog name. But I will start defining the Swahili :))

I think I will be able to put pictures up starting next week...sorry for the wait!