Monday, June 30, 2008

off to a village...

So apparently my first week of community training will entail going to a small village an hour outside of Arusha and living there for the next 4 days. Not exactly what I was expecting, but it should be great to actually live in a Tanzanian village. I do not know the name of it because our program director did not know...I also only found out this morning that a group of us were going...typical Africa. It will be nice to get away from the craziness and all of the hassling that I get in the city for a week though. And then this weekend, some of us are going to visit Moshi, so I might get to glimpse Kilimanjaro! On Saturday, we will go hiking in the foothills of Kili among waterfalls.

It has suddenly gotten super warm and sunny after weeks of rain and mud, with no apparent warning or reason. I have to be much more diligent about applying sunscreen now, but it is completely worth it. It actually feels like Africa now!

I spent this past weekend throwing up and sleeping, ugh. I think I was food poisoned. Or potentially water-poisoned. Even though my family here boils water for me to drink, they have been storing it in the exact same large plastic water bottle for the past month. My dad (real one) always has warned me not to re-use plastic water bottles because bacteria will grow in them...eek. For now, I am boycotting my family's water and buying my own. I felt very bad for my family over the weekend though, they were convinced I was dying and kept trying to get me to eat. Obviously, I would refuse because I was not a fan of getting violently sick. Also, my mama seems to think that eggs are the miracle food to make sick people get better. I do not know about everyone else, but eggs are the LAST thing I want on an upset stomach. I felt better this morning though, and she got very excited when I agreed to let her make me an "omelet" (this consists of an egg surrounding raw carrots, onions, and tomatoes...not what we would typically call an omelet). They also discovered my love of watermelon since it was one of the only things I would eat over the weekend, and now they keep feeding it to me. Yummm!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

mary!
I just found your blog and although I have a lot to do I read every entry cuz its so interesting! I hope we can meet up sometime in August (ok i dont know when you are going home, but thats when i will be home hehe) and talk. anyway, take advantage of every opportunity you have to do something new and talk to everyone you can!
good luck,
Miriam